Floating license enables users to share the Visual Paradigm concurrently based on the limit of concurrent access specified on the floating license. In order to access the floating license, you need to install the VP Server and enable its Floating License Server Module in your Local Area Network in advance. This article will demonstrate how to download, install and configure VP Server and enable the Floating License Server module on Mac environment.
- Downloading Floating License key
- Downloading VP Server
- Installing VP Server and Floating License Module
- Installing VP Server As System Service
- Configuring Visual Paradigm to Use Floating License
- Login to the Visual Paradigm Customer Service Center (https://cs.visual-paradigm.com/).
- Under Licenses tab, select the floating license and press Download button to save the license key to your hard drive.
- In Visual Paradigm Customer Service Center, click the Download tab.
- Click Latest Version tab.
- Select the platform you (your team) are using from the combo box and press Download button to download VP Server.
- Double click on the downloaded downloaded VP Server to unpack it.
- Move the unpacked VP Server to Applications folder.
- Open the Terminal on Mac.
- Navigate to scripts folder of VP Server in Terminal using CD command (cd /Applications/VPServer/scripts/).
- Launch VP Server by execute the startup script (./startup.sh).
Once you see the message Server startup in xxxx ms which means your VP Server is started. Do NOT close it or else the server will be terminated.
- Open your web browser and visit to VP Server with port 1999 (i.e. http://%IP or host name of server%:1999/). If you are opening the browser on the machine hosting VP Server then you can enter http://127.0.0.1:1999 to access the server.
- In the VP Server Installation page, enter the Organization Name followed by the Administrator Password. And then click the Select Module button to proceed.
- Select the Floating License Module, and then Click the Configure Database/Module button.
- You can specify your own database for storing your setting information of your VP Server. Or if you don’t have a database for this, you can use our embedded database to store those information. Let’s specify the Embedded DB and click Configure Module button to proceed.
- Now in the Configure Floating License Module section, import the floatinglicense.keys you downloaded previously by clicking the Choose File button and locate it with the file chooser.
- You can optionally fill in the Administrator Email so that VP Server can send out notification email when the number of license request exceeds the number of available licenses on server.
- Click Finish button to complete the installation. Click the Go to Login Page once the installation process completes.
- Login to VP Server as administrator with user name Admin.
- Click the Mail Server button at the bottom of the page to configure the mail server for your VP Server.
- Specify the Hostname, port, as well as the Server Email Address. If your network need authorization for sending out email then please also specify the User name as well as the Password. Press Save button to store the setting.
- Click the Logout button at the top right hand corner of the server to logout the admin session.
You can install VP Server as a system service by simply execute the install_service script inside the scripts folder under VP Server installation directory. The VP Server will result in automatically starting up when you start your system. Note that you may need to have administrator permission in order to setup the system service.
After enabled the floating license module, you need to configure the VP clients to enable access to the floating license from the server.
- When you start up Visual Paradigm, the License Key Manager dialog box will be prompted to ask you to import license. Select Perpetual License.
- Select Floating License, and specify Connection type (http or https), Host and Port of the VP Server. Default port number is 1999. After that press the Connect to Server button to proceed.
- If there are more then one edition of floating license on your server you can pick the edition launching Visual Paradigm. Click Apply button to complete the configuration, and then press the Start button to proceed.
- You can open the License Manager will see what license you have. For Sleek UI user you can open it by go to Window > License Manager.