From time to time, Visual Paradigm releases new version which covers bunch of new features and enhancements. Thanks to the maintenance contract system, you can upgrade to new version without extra cost as long as your license is covered with maintenance contract. This article will teach you how to upgrade your Visual Paradigm with floating license to new version.
Knowing which type of license you are using
If you are not sure you are running the single seat license, floating license or a subscription license, you can follow the article Find out the Type of Visual Paradigm License You Are Using to find out which type of license you are using.
If you are using single seat license, then please follow the procedures at How to Upgrade Visual Paradigm (With Single Seat License) to New Version to perform the upgrade. And if you are using subscription license, then please follow the procedures at How to upgrade Visual Paradigm (Subscription License) to New Version to perform the upgrade.
Before we start
The upgrade process involves 3 steps, they are:
- Ready the files you need for the upgrade
- Upgrade License Server to new version
- Upgrade Visual Paradigm to new version
To avoid missing out any steps throughout the upgrade process, please download the following checklist and use it during your upgrade process.
Now, let’s start the upgrade by downloading the files you need.
1. Ready the files you need
The following files have to be readied before upgrading your floating license environment. They are:
- The floating license key for the new version
- The WebApp package of the new version license server
Download the new floating license key file
You can login to your Customer Service Center account to download the new floating license key file. Once you have logged in to your Customer Service Center account, you can select the floating license and press the Download button to download it.
Download the WebApp package of the new version license server
Now, switch to the Download tab in your Customer Service Center account. Select WebApp in the Installer combo box of Visual Paradigm Server and press the Download button to download it.
We are now ready to proceed to upgrade the server.
2. Upgrade your license server
Upgrade the license server is extremely easy and can be done in few clicks.
- First, open the browser and go to your license server.
- Login to the server as the administrator with login name “Admin“.
- Once you are logged in, select the Update System from the top right hand corner of the admin portal.
- Click the Choose File button to locate the WebApp package you downloaded previously.
- Upon the upload is done, the server will list out the version and build number of your current running server, as well as the version and the build number you are going to update. The server will be out of service for about 10 – 15 seconds by pressing Yes button to proceed to the upgrade.
- Once the upgrade is done, the server will show up its new version and build number. Click Continue to go back to the login page.
- Login to server as administrator again. And then click Configure under Floating License Module.
- You will see it is still with your existing license key. Press the Import License button and then press the Choose File button to locate the new floating license key you have downloaded.
- Press the Upload File button to proceed.
- After that, you will see the license on server is being upgraded.
The server is now ready and we can move on to upgrade the Visual Paradigm.
3.Upgrade your Visual Paradigm
Upgrade Visual Paradigm to new version is pretty simple by simply running the Visual Paradigm Update to get it done.
- The Visual Paradigm Update can be launched from your Start menu (MS Windows) or from the bin folder of the installation directory (all platforms).
Note that the upgrade process requires write permission to the Visual Paradigm installation directory. For Windows user, you are recommended to run Visual Paradigm Update as administrator in order to obtain the required permission. This can be done by right click on the icon and select Run as administrator.
For Mac user Visual Paradigm Update can launch under Help > Update in application toolbar.
- After launching the Visual Paradigm Update, select Visual Paradigm update server as the update source, then press Check Updates to proceed.
- The Visual Paradigm Update first upgrades and restarts itself and then the build number of the latest release will be shown. You can press the Perform upgrade button again to continue.
- After that, the Visual Paradigm Update will download the upgrade from Internet to upgrade the software and at the same time, download and import the new license key for you. Once the upgrade is finished, your software and license will be readied to use in new version.
If you are using VPository…
For VPository user you will need to also upgrade your VPository to new version. But don’t worry, you never need to make your hands dirty for any maintenance work with your VPository as Visual Paradigm Support Team manages it for you. This includes regular backup and perform server upgrade. Please follow the article How to upgrade your VPository to new version to upgrade your VPository after you upgrade your Visual Paradigm software to new version.
The upgrade of your VPository will be done within 1 working day and we will notify you by email when finished. Once our notification arrives, that means your VPository is back online and you are ready to work with it again.
Visual Paradigm Update says it cannot connect to update server
This is probably caused by a bad Internet connection or your system needs proxy server for accessing Internet. If you need to use proxy server to access for Internet, you can then check the Use proxy server check box and fill in the proxy host and port as well as your login information (if needed).
You can also press the Proxy Setting button at the bottom left corner of Visual Paradigm Update to configure the proxy server before proceed to upgrade.
Visual Paradigm Update doesn’t show there is a new version available
For users who are using Visual Paradigm prior to version 10.2 may need to run the Visual Paradigm Update twice in order to do the complete upgrade. The first run will update the software to the latest build on the current running version, while the second run will upgrade to the latest version.