From time to time Visual Paradigm release new version of Visual Paradigm and VPository (Teamwork Server on the cloud) which cover bunch of new features and enhancements. Thanks to the maintenance contract system, you can upgrade to new version without extra cost as long as your license is covered by maintenance. This article will teach you how to upgrade your Visual Paradigm in floating license as well as the VPository to new version.
Knowing which type of license you are using
If you are not sure you are running the single seat license, floating license or the subscription license, you can follow the article Find out the Type of Visual Paradigm License You Are Using to find out which type of license you are using.
If you are using Visual Paradigm with single seat license, then please follow the procedures at How to upgrade Visual Paradigm (Single Seat License) and VPository to New Version to perform the upgrade. And if you are using subscription license, then please follow the procedures at How to upgrade Visual Paradigm (Subscription License) and Vpository to New Version to perform the upgrade.
For the server, if you are not sure you are using on-premises Teamwork Server, VPository or other version servers, you can follow the article Find out the Type of Version Server You Are Using to find out which type of server you are using.
If you are using on-premises Teamwork Server then please follow the procedures at How to Upgrade Visual Paradigm (With Floating License) and Teamwork Server to New Version to perform the upgrade.
Before we start
The upgrade process involves 4 steps, they are:
- Ready the files you needed for the upgrade
- Upgrade License Server to new version
- Upgrade Visual Paradigm to new version
- Send Vpository Upgrade Request to Visual Paradigm Support Team
To avoid missing out any steps throughout the upgrade process, please download the following checklist and use it during your upgrade process.
Now, let’s start the upgrade by schedule an upgrade time with Visual Paradigm Support Team.
1.Ready the files you needed
The following files have to be readied before upgrading your Visual Paradigm and license server. They are:
- The floating license key for the new version
- The WebApp package of the new version VP Server
Download the new floating license key file
You can login to your Customer Service Center account to download the new floating license key file. Once you logged in to your Customer Service Center account, you can select the floating license of Visual Paradigm, and press the Download button to download it.
Download the WebApp package of the new version VP Server
Switch to the Download tab in your Customer Service Center account. Select WebApp in the Installer combo box of Visual Paradigm Server, and press the Download button to download it.
We are ready to upgrade the license server.
2.Upgrade your License Server
Now, we have to ready the license server and floating license for the new version. Upgrade the license server and floating license key are extremely easy and can be done in few clicks. Upgrade the license server and floating license key to new version will not affect your exiting user and they can still work with their software without disturbance.
- First, open the browser and go to your license server.
- Login to the server as the administrator with login name “Admin“.
- Once you are logged in, select the Update System from the top right hand corner of the admin portal.
- Click the Choose File button to locate the WebApp package you downloaded previously.
- Upon the upload is done, the server will list out the version and build number of your current running server, as well as the version and the build number you are going to update. The server will be out of service for about 10 – 15 seconds by pressing Yes button to proceed to the upgrade.
- Once the upgrade is done, the server will show up its new version and build number. Click Continue to go back to the login page.
- Login to server as administrator again.
- Click the Configure under Floating License Module.
- You will see it is still with your existing floating license key. Press the Import License button, and then press the Browse button to locate the new floating license key you have downloaded.
- Press the Upload File button to proceed.
- After that, you will see the license on server is being upgraded.
Once all user had committed the changes you can than sit back and wait for Visual Paradigm Support Team upgrade the VPository for you. We can then move on to upgrade your Visual Paradigm once you received the notification from us notify you the server is ready.
3. Upgrade your Visual Paradigm
You can start upgrade your Visual Paradigm once you have received the notification from Visual Paradigm about your VPository is ready. Upgrade Visual Paradigm to new version is pretty simple by simply running the Visual Paradigm Update to get it done.
- The Visual Paradigm Update can be launched from your Start menu (MS Windows) or from the bin folder of the installation directory (all platforms).
Note that the upgrade process requires write permission to the Visual Paradigm installation directory. For Windows user, you are recommended to run Visual Paradigm Update as administrator in order to obtain the required permission. This can be done by right click on the icon and select Run as administrator.
- After launching the Visual Paradigm Update, select Visual Paradigm update server as the update source, then press Check Updates to proceed.
- The Visual Paradigm Update first upgrades and restarts itself, and then the build number of the latest release will be shown. You can press the Perform upgrade button again to continue.
- After that the Visual Paradigm Update will download the upgrade from Internet to upgrade the software. Once the upgrade is finished your software will be ready to use in new version.
4. Send Upgrade Request to Visual Paradigm Support Team
You never need to make your hands dirty for any maintenance work with your VPository as Visual Paradigm Support Team manages it for you. This includes regular backup and perform server upgrade. After you upgrade your software to Visual Paradigm, the next step is we upgrade the VPository for you. You can send your request through the Support Request Form.
- Start up Visual Paradigm, open Teamwork Client dialog and try to login.
- You will be prompted that the version of your VPository is different from the version of Visual Paradigm you are using.
- Click on the Send Upgrade Request to Support Team.
- This will open your browser and have the Support Request Form opened, with the details of your VPository being filled in automatically.
- Scroll down the form and press Submit to send in the request.
After that, the upgrade request will be sent to Visual Paradigm Support Team immediately. The upgrade of your VPository will be done within 1 working day and we will notify you by email when finished. Once our notification arrives, that means your VPository is back online and you are ready to work with it again.
Visual Paradigm Update says it cannot connect to update server
This is probably caused by a bad Internet connection, or your system need proxy server for accessing Internet. If you need to use proxy server for access Internet, you can then check the Use proxy server check box, and fill in the proxy host and port, as well as your login information (if needed).
You can also press the Proxy Setting button at the bottom left corner of Visual Paradigm Update to configure the proxy server before proceed to upgrade.
Visual Paradigm Update doesn’t show there is a new version available
For users who are using Visual Paradigm prior to version 10.2 may need to run the Visual Paradigm Update twice in order to do the complete upgrade. The first run will update the software to the latest build on the current running version, while the second run will upgrade to the latest version.