|This article is out-dated. Please refer to How to upgrade Visual Paradigm (with Floating License) to New Version for details about how to update your floating licensed Visual Paradigm to latest version.|
|Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) was discontinued since the product amalgamation in version 11.1. More details can be found at http://www.visual-paradigm.com/aboutus/newsreleases/vp-product-amalgamation-2014.jsp|
From time to time Visual Paradigm release new version to Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) and VPository (Teamwork Server on the cloud) which cover bunch of new features and enhancements. Thanks to the maintenance contract system, you can upgrade to new version without extra cost as long as your license is covered by maintenance. This article will teach you how to upgrade your VP-UML in floating license as well as the VPository to new version.
Knowing which type of license you are using
If you are not sure you are running the single seat license, floating license or the subscription license, you can follow the article Find out the Type of Visual Paradigm License You Are Using to find out which type of license you are using.
If you are using VP-UML with single seat license, then please follow the procedures at How to upgrade VP-UML (Single Seat License) and VPository to New Version to perform the upgrade. And if you are using subscription license, then please follow the procedures at How to upgrade VP-UML (Subscription License) and VPository to New Version to perform the upgrade.
For the server, if you are not sure you are using on-premises Teamwork Server, VPository or other version servers, you can follow the article Find out the Type of Version Server You Are Using to find out which type of server you are using.
If you are using on-premises Teamwork Server then please follow the procedures at How to Upgrade VP-UML (With Floating License) and Teamwork Server to New Version to perform the upgrade.
Before we start
The upgrade process involves 5 steps, they are:
- Schedule a time with Visual Paradigm Support Team to upgrade your VPository
- Ready the files you needed for the upgrade
- Upgrade License Server to new version
- Ask all user to commit their changes
- Upgrade VP-UML to new version
To avoid missing out any steps throughout the upgrade process, please download the following checklist and use it during your upgrade process.
Now let’s start the upgrade by schedule an upgrade time with Visual Paradigm Support Team.
You never need to make your hands dirty for any maintenance work with your VPository, while Visual Paradigm manages it for you. This including regular backup and perform server upgrade. Since both the VPository and the VP-UML need to be run in same version, to smooth your upgrade process it is recommend you schedule a time with Visual Paradigm Support Team to upgrade your VPository to new version. This can guarantee your VPository is being upgraded to new version at the scheduled time. You can send in your request by filling in the Support Request Form. Please include the date which your server needed to be ready in new version in your request and our support team will schedule it for you.
Once the upgrade is scheduled, we can then move on to download the files needed for upgrade the license server.
The following files have to be ready before upgrading your VP-UML and license server. They are:
- The floating license key for the new version
- The WebApp package of the new version VP Server
Download the new floating license key file
You can login to your Customer Service Center account to download the new floating license key file. Once you logged in to your Customer Service Center account, you can select the floating license of VP-UML, and press the Download button to download it.
Download the WebApp package of the new version VP Server
Now switch to the Download tab in your Customer Service Center account. Select WebApp in the Installer combo box of Visual Paradigm Server, and press the Download button to download it.
Now we are ready to upgrade the license server.
Now we have to ready the license server and floating license for the new version. Upgrade the license server and floating license key are extremely easy and can be done in few clicks. Upgrade the license server and floating license key to new version will not affect your exiting user and they can still work with their software without disturbance.
- First we have to login to the server as administrator. Open the browser and go to your license server.
- Click on the Manage (or Administrator for VP Server prior to version 10.1) at the top right hand corner.
- Login to the server as the administrator with login name “Admin“.
- Once you are logged in, select the Update System from the top right hand corner of the admin portal.
- Click the Browse button to locate the WebApp package you downloaded previously.
- Upon the upload is done, the server will list out the version and build number of your current running server, as well as the version and the build number you are going to update. The server will be out of service for about 10 – 15 seconds by pressing Yes button to proceed to the upgrade.
- Once the upgrade is done the server will show up its new version and build number. Click Continue to go back to the login page.
- Login to server as administrator again.
- Click the Configure under Floating License Module.
- You will see it is still with your existing floating license key. Press the Import License button, and then press the Browse button to locate the new floating license key you have downloaded.
- Press the Upload File button to proceed.
- After that you will see the license on server is being upgraded.
Now your license server and floating license key is ready for the new version. Again, user running with old version software will still working even you have upgraded the server and the floating license key. Next we are going to ask all user to commit their changes.
VP-UML will need to do project conversion every time when it open a project file which is in old version. To avoid user doing unnecessary project conversion, it is recommended that all users do a full commit on their project to VPository before the scheduled upgrade date. Having a full commit serves for two purposes: to make sure all the modifications done by users are committed so that everyone can start on the same page after upgrade, and to boots the performance of the teamwork operations as the latest revision of the projects on VPository are converted to new version during the upgrade.
Once all user had committed the changes we can than sit back and wait for Visual Paradigm Support Team upgrade the VPository for you.
You can start upgrade your VP-UML once you received the notification from Visual Paradigm about your VPository is ready. Upgrade VP-UML to new version is pretty simple, and you can simply run the VP-UML Update to get it done.
- The VP-UML Update can be launched from your Start menu (MS Windows) or from the bin folder of the installation directory (all platforms).
Note that the upgrade process require write permission to the VP-UML installation directory. For Windows user it is recommend you run VP-UML Update as administrator in order to obtain the required permission.
- After launching the VP-UML Update, select Visual Paradigm update server as the update source, then press Check Update to proceed.
- VP-UML Update will show you there is a new version available. By selecting the new version you will be prompted that you don’t have the license for the new version. This is a normal behavior because VP-UML Update can only do checking for the the single seat licenses. Since you already upgraded the license on the server you can simply press Yes and Perform upgrade to proceed.
- The VP-UML Update first upgrade and restart itself, and then the build number of the latest release will be shown. You can press the Perform upgrade button again to continue.
- After that the VP-UML Update will download the upgrade from Internet to upgrade the software. Once the upgrade is finished your software will be ready to use in new version.
VP-UML Update said it cannot connect to update server
This is probably caused by a bad Internet connection, or your system need proxy server for accessing Internet. If you need to use proxy server for access Internet, you can then check the Use proxy server check box, and fill in the proxy host and port, as well as your login information (if needed).
You can also press the Proxy Setting button at the bottom left corner of VP-UML Update to configure the proxy server before proceed to upgrade.
VP-UML Update didn’t show there is a new version available
For users who are using VP-UML prior to version 10.2 may need to run the VP-UML Update twice in order to do the complete upgrade. The first run will be update the software to latest build on the current running version, while the second run will upgrade to latest version.