Visual Paradigm for UML supports exporting and importing Microsoft Excel file. You can export diagrams to Excel file, edit model elements’ name and their properties in tabular format and furthermore, import the modification back to VP-UML.
Let’s open a project of class diagram as follows:
As you can see all classes are shared with the same type of attribute Address in the diagram. Assume you have created a new class DetailAddress and you would like to change the type of attribute of all classes into DetailAddress. Two ways are available for you to get the modification done.
- The first way is more troublesome that you have to change the classes’ type one by one even if you want to change the type of quite a few classes.
- Right click on class Teacher and select Open Specification… from the pop-up menu.
- When the Class Specification window pops out, click Attributes tab. Select the attribute to modify and then click Open Specification… button.
- Subsequently, the Attribute Specification dialog box is opened. Select DetailAddress from the drop-down menu of Type. Click OK to proceed.
- The second way is comparatively handy that you can edit all classes’ type at a time.
- Right click on the diagram’s background and select Export > Export to Excel… from the pop-up menu.
- In the Export Excel window, specify the output path for exporting an Excel file and select Model Type Per Sheet from the drop-down menu of Export Style. Click Export button to proceed.
- The Excel file unfolds at once and you can reach the Type column.
- Edit the type of all classes as DetailAddress and save the file.
- Now, go back to the class diagram. Select File > Import > Excel… from the main menu to import the Excel file.
- Select the directory of the Excel file in Import dialog box and click Open button.
- Another Import dialog box pops out and you can view the modification you have made. Click OK button to confirm importing.
- As a result, the type of all classes is changed into DetailAddress on the diagram.