|This article is out-dated. Please refer to How to upgrade Visual Paradigm (with Floating License) to New Version for details about how to update your floating licensed Visual Paradigm to latest version.|
|Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) was discontinued since the product amalgamation in version 11.1. More details can be found at http://www.visual-paradigm.com/aboutus/newsreleases/vp-product-amalgamation-2014.jsp|
From time to time Visual Paradigm release new version to Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) which cover bunch of new features and enhancements. Thanks to the maintenance contract system, you can upgrade to new version without extra cost as long as your license is covered by maintenance. This article will teach you how to upgrade your VP-UML with floating license to new version.
Knowing which type of license you are using
If you are not sure you are running the single seat license, floating license or a subscription license, you can follow the article Find out the Type of Visual Paradigm License You Are Using to find out which type of license you are using.
If you are using single seat license, then please follow the procedures at How to Upgrade VP-UML (With Single Seat License) to New Version to perform the upgrade.And if you are using subscription license, then please follow the procedures at How to upgrade VP-UML (Subscription License) to New Version to perform the upgrade.
Before we start
The upgrade process involves 3 steps, they are:
- Ready the files you needed for the upgrade
- Upgrade License Server to new version
- Upgrade VP-UML to new version
To avoid missing out any steps throughout the upgrade process, please download the following checklist and use it during your upgrade process.
Now let’s start the upgrade by downloading the files you needed.
1. Ready the files you needed
The following files have to be ready before upgrading your floating license environment. They are:
- The floating license key for the new version
- The WebApp package of the new version license server
Download the new floating license key file
You can login to your Customer Service Center account to download the new floating license key file. Once you logged in to your Customer Service Center account, you can select the floating license and press the Download button to download it.
Download the WebApp package of the new version license server
Now switch to the Download tab in your Customer Service Center account. Select WebApp in the Installer combo box of Visual Paradigm Server, and press the Download button to download it.
We are now ready to proceed to upgrade the server.
2. Upgrade your license server
Upgrade the license server is extremely easy and can be done in few clicks.
- First we have to login to the server as administrator. Open the browser and go to your license server.
- Click on the Manage (or Administrator for VP Server prior to version 10.1) at the top right hand corner.
- Login to the server as the administrator with login name “Admin“.
- Once you are logged in, select the Update System from the top right hand corner of the admin portal.
- Click the Browse button to locate the WebApp package you downloaded previously.
- Upon the upload is done, the server will list out the version and build number of your current running server, as well as the version and the build number you are going to update. The server will be out of service for about 10 – 15 seconds by pressing Yes button to proceed to the upgrade.
- Once the upgrade is done the server will show up its new version and build number. Click Continue to go back to the login page.
- Login to server as administrator again. And then click Configure under Floating License Module.
- You will see it is still with your existing license key. Press the Import License button, and then press the Browse button to locate the new floating license key you have downloaded.
- Press the Upload File button to proceed.
- After that you will see the license on server is being upgraded.
The server is now ready and we can move on to upgrade the VP-UML.
3. Upgrade your VP-UML
Upgrade VP-UML to new version is pretty simple, and you can simply run the VP-UML Update to get it done.
- The VP-UML Update can be launched from your Start menu (MS Windows) or from the bin folder of the installation directory (all platforms).
Note that the upgrade process require write permission to the VP-UML installation directory. For Windows user it is recommend you run VP-UML Update as administrator in order to obtain the required permission.
- After launching the VP-UML Update, select Visual Paradigm update server as the update source, then press Check Update to proceed.
- VP-UML Update will show you there is a new version available. By selecting the new version you will be prompted that you don’t have the license for the new version. This is a normal behavior because VP-UML Update can only do checking for the the single seat licenses. Since you already upgraded the license on the server you can simply press Yes and Perform upgrade to proceed.
- The VP-UML Update first upgrade and restart itself, and then the build number of the latest release will be shown. You can press the Perform upgrade button again to continue.
- After that the VP-UML Update will download the upgrade from Internet to upgrade the software. Once the upgrade is finished your software will be ready to use in new version.
VP-UML Update said it cannot connect to update server
This is probably caused by a bad Internet connection, or your system need proxy server for accessing Internet. If you need to use proxy server for access Internet, you can then check the Use proxy server check box, and fill in the proxy host and port, as well as your login information (if needed).
You can also press the Proxy Setting button at the bottom left corner of VP-UML Update to configure the proxy server before proceed to upgrade.
VP-UML Update didn’t show there is a new version available
For users who are using VP-UML prior to version 10.2 may need to run the VP-UML Update twice in order to do the complete upgrade. The first run will be update the software to latest build on the current running version, while the second run will upgrade to latest version.